Tuition Reimbursement Program

With support from the Hanover Education Foundation (HEF), tuition reimbursement continues to be available to employees. The HEF has donated more than $500,000 since 2000 to assist employees with tuition for coursework and National Board Certification.

Application Process

Step One (prior to start of course)

  • Complete Tuition Reimbursement Application PRIOR to the start of the course. The form is available on the HR Hub. Select "Human Resources" then "Tuition Assistance & Reimbursement." Access the form by selecting “Tuition Reimbursement Application.” Print the form, complete and sign it. Please provide a separate form for each requested course.

  • Obtain approval signature from principal or supervisor.

  • Submit completed form to Cathy Petree - HR - SBO. HR will send a copy of approved request (or an explanation of denied request) via email. 

  • Tuition reimbursement is limited to budget availability.

Step Two (within 60 days after the end of the course)

  • Submit a copy of your grade report, containing your name, to Kim Fontaine in Human Resources. For reimbursement purposes, this does not need to be an “official transcript.” However, an official transcript would be necessary for license renewal purposes and should be sent to Karen Lamb, Licensure Specialist.

  • Submit a receipt of payment that contains your name and the institution’s name to Kim Fontaine in Human Resources. Acceptable receipts include: a copy of the canceled check, a receipt from the learning institution, or a copy of credit card statement showing charge from learning institution.

Who is eligible for reimbursement?

  • All employees are eligible for tuition assistance for coursework related to job requirements.

  • Tuition reimbursement funds may also be used for the cost of Praxis testing (upon passing).

  • Full-time employees may receive up to $800 per school year. Part-time employees may receive up to $400 per school year. 

What if I do not receive a grade of “B” or better?

  • When your reimbursement application is approved, those funds are encumbered and not available for use by other employees. If you do not meet the requirements for reimbursement (i.e. you do not complete the course, or do not receive a qualifying grade), please notify Human Resources as soon as possible so those funds can be released.

What happens next?

  • Human Resources will process your request and submit the paperwork to Accounts Payable. Please allow 4—6 weeks for processing. You will receive a check to the address on your reimbursement form. If your address has changed, you will need to make sure that you complete the Employee Information Change Form stating your correct address. Once the form has been completed, please send the form to Christine Fix.

What expenses are reimbursed?

  • Reimbursement is available for tuition only—books, food, technology fees, or application fees are not included.

  • Monies are reimbursed per school calendar year for coursework completed between July 1 and June 30.

  • Coursework covered must be courses in which a college credit and letter grade are received. Each school has funds set aside for professional conferences and workshops. Please ask your principal or designee to learn more about conference and workshop opportunities.

What happens if I leave the school system?

Employees who receive reimbursement from the Tuition Reimbursement Program shall agree to work in Hanover County Public Schools for one school calendar year after receipt of the assistance. If your employment ends voluntarily or is terminated for reasons other than Reduction in Force, you will be expected to reimburse the county for those funds paid for your coursework in the current school year. For your convenience, payroll deduction is available if funds are owed to Hanover County Public Schools. 

Other questions? Call Human Resources at 804-365-4519.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.